Sunday, July 1, 2012

Walkability Trumps Square Footage


Some dear friends recently gifted me with a fit bit, which is a fancy pedometer. The process of tracking how many steps I take (goal is 10,000 daily steps) is surprisingly energizing. Walking in this city (and Marin's towns and parks) is so entertaining, and so much less stressful then driving. Plus I can eat freely in this place of unlimited good food choices. Even when I have to drive for work, I find myself enjoying parking a little further from my destination, so I'll rack up a few more steps. Ridiculous I know, but so invigorating. So today we revisit walkability


SustainableCitiesNetsustainablecitiesnet

The National Association of Realtors Community Preference Survey concluded that most Americans now prefer a walkable neighborhood to a large house People are willing to pay more  for a location that allows them to walk or bike rather then drive everywhere.  San Francisco has recently been declared the "most walkable" city in the U.S.  Marin is pretty wonderful for walking too, and hiking.  

SFStreetBlog.org

P.S. Tomorrow is Sunday Streets in the Mission District, "a cost-effective way to improve the health of San Franciscans," as Mayor Ed Lee put it.  Plus way fun.


SFStreetsblog.org

No comments:

Post a Comment