Tuesday, August 9, 2011

All about Eves

While I have learned to love modern architecture, I do find the lack of eves in the current "Dwellian" version of "sustainable" architecture inexplicable. Can someone explain this to me? There must be something I am missing.

Homedesignlatest.com
My feeling is that it is a design conceit, that is not ultimately very practical for the health of the building, at least in this climate.

I used to strongly prefer historic architecture to modern, but over time have learned to open my mind, look more closely and observe buildings carefully in their context. I love the juxtapositions of new and old, particularly in the same building. I am prone to crushes on buildings and neighborhoods, and my first serious crush on a "modern" building was on a "William Wurster Masterpiece" that was on the market earlier this year.



SFARMLS

So beautiful. Filled with natural light, and oriented with its back to the wind, protecting and creating a lovely south facing indoor outdoor space. Also, it has eves.

In looking for photos to illustrate this pet peeve of mine, I have to admit there are many elegant new approaches to eves being incorporated. Whew. Just watch out for eve-less wonders built in the 70's and 80's and more recently. If you consider purchasing one, you'll want to be sure to have roof, siding and windows inspected to be sure the buildings envelope hasn't been breached to allow water intrusion. Without eves, flashing and roofing material integrity and maintenance become more critical. Water intrusion, especially behind stucco, can do very expensive damage to your expensive investment.

Flickrfotos.com
Now don't get me wrong, I enjoy Dwell and have appreciated Sam Grawes redesign (stay tuned for the next evolution), and especially the magazines coverage of "green" design development. I just get impatient when I see form overriding function, rather than evolving from it, and sometimes Dwell has joined in the glamorization of buildings that are nice to look at but do not provide intelligent shelter. Which is the opposite of sustainable, regardless of spin. I'll save my starhitect rant for another day.

I think my overall point here is that it's not about modern or historic, boxy or ornate, its about location, orientation and functional basics, like eves.

No comments:

Post a Comment