Saturday, June 4, 2011

"Stand in the place where you are, now face north"


OK, now that I've got the tree rant out of my system (for now), this weird November in June weather has me turning to the crux of what I think is most important about property location; the interaction between weather and topography, ie the slope (steepness of terrain) and aspect (orientation - North, South, East, West) of a property relative to our marine influenced Mediterranean climate.
GOES.NOAA.GOV

I will admit, numerous other factors; schools, architecture, walk-ability, density, crime levels, and access to open space and transit, do powerfully affect livability and property values. (Lots of links on the right for more local detail on these subjects.)

My feeling though, is that slope/aspect/climate interactions ultimately trump these (if not actually determining them in the first place) in terms of daily quality of life. Plant life and vernacular architecture all over the world reflect the diversity of these interactions.  Thus I shall begin a series of posts about our many local micro-climates and how they got that way, as soon as I can untangle all the interlocking parts enough to figure out where to start.

http://tornado.sfsu.edu/geosciences/classes/m356/Pastlinks_F2004.html




sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com

Happy November in June!





















    

No comments:

Post a Comment